Intelligent system for the orientation and reorientation of higher education students (DIORES)- Case Study: Cheikh Anta Diop University
As the science of making machines takes on roles that require interdisciplinary intelligence such as computer science, mathematics, psychology, cognitive science and cognitive sciences and philosophy, universities are destined to be at the heart of the fourth industrial revolution. This is all the truer as Artificial Intelligence has a direct impact on the activities of universities. According to UNESCO, AI-based technology is changing the role of teachers and improving education systems, guaranteeing access to knowledge and promoting digital learning.
Unfortunately, African countries still have some way to go, as according to the report published by UNESCO in 2021, there is a considerable gap when it comes to integrating AI into the education systems, research and development of African countries. Faced with this situation, this project is designed to support the management of pedagogy by developing a decision-support tool for the admission, orientation and reorientation of students in university courses.
The aim is to promote learning by profiling students and suggesting courses in which they are more likely to succeed.
This project is being implemented as a pilot phase, with a gradual extension to all Université Cheikh Anta Diop (UCAD), and other national and regional universities. Generally speaking, the method used to implement the project is an abductive approach supported by a data-driven dynamic that will enable us to understand the complex relationship between student orientation and academic success.
LOCATION: Dakar, Senegal
FUNDING: $ 33,350
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR: Prof. Idrissa SARR
- Centre universitaire de Recherche aux technologies de l’Internet (CURI) at Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar
- Faculty of Science and Technology (FST) at Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar
- École Supérieure Polytechnique (ESP) at Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar
- Ecole supérieure d’Economie appliquée (ESEA)
OTHER TEAM MEMBERS:
- Dr Mouhamadou Lamine BA – Ecole Supérieure Polytechnique de Dakar (ESP), Université Cheikh Anta Diop, Sénégal
- Dr Modou GUEYE- Faculté des Sciences et Techniques, Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar (UCAD), Sénégal
- Pr Kharouna TALLA – Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar (UCAD), Sénégal
- Dr Ousmane NIANG – Ecole Supérieure d’Economie Appliquée (ESEA), Université Cheikh Anta Diop, Sénégal